Tuesday 20 November 2007

The Illusionary Epiphany

The illusion of the perfect answer.

This is a state I used to live in almost every day of my life. I remember when I was younger and wanted to "get good with the ladies" I used to come to a question I could not quite answer. For example, it might be something like "what should my outcome be when talking to women?" I would spend hours thinking about it. I would walk around in a state that told me that when I answered this question all my problems would be solved and I would instantly have what I wanted.

As you could guess my problems were never instantly solved. My strong desire for answers did lead to several epiphanies, but not the solution to the bigger problem.

The reason I talk about this is because I still find myself in this highly addictive state. When I am in the frame of mind it is very hard to spot. I probably have some form of it at the moment as I seek my true purpose. My search for it seems to fit all the symptoms. Even now I have convinced myself that this time is different to all those other times. Maybe I will have to relearn the lesson I am trying to teach?

My real point is this...

Don't use waiting for the great epiphany, or answer to all your problems as an excuse not to carry on with your life as it is. Keep challenging yourself to be better. Keep exploring new belief systems. Keep searching for more efficient ways of looking at life and of doing things. Keep working towards the goals you have set at the moment. Keep loving unconditionally. Keep contributing.

Don't let waiting for the illusionary epiphany stop you from living life.

This illusion manifests itself in so many forms, like "I have to create the perfect business plan" or "after I have read this book I will do this" or "after I xxxxx I will achieve this easily".

Don't ask yourself IF you're going through this. Ask yourself WHERE in your life you are experiencing this. When you have done this, ask yourself if it is giving you an excuse to procrastinate on anything. That excuse is no longer valid.